Year-Round IPM Program Pages
This year-round IPM program covers the major pests of pistachios in California.
- Why is preharvest important in an IPM program?
- Special issues of concern related to environmental quality: runoff, drift, volatile organic compounds (VOCs).
- Mitigate pesticide usage to minimize air and water contamination.
What should you be doing at this time?
Treat for navel orangeworm at hull split (hull slip) according to the Pistachio Pest Management Guidelines, especially if early splits are abundant and infestation levels of early splits exceed 2%.
- Citrus flat mite
- Alternaria late bight
- Botryosphaeria panicle and shoot blight
- Verticillium wilt (late strikes)
- Other canker diseases
- Ground squirrels
- Meadow voles
- Pocket gophers
Manage as needed according to the Pistachio Pest Management Guidelines.
Prepare the orchard floor before harvest by managing weeds according to the Pistachio Pest Management Guidelines.